Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bemusings: On Honesty & Authenticity

This theme keeps popping up and I have long since given completely up on the idea of coincidences. So in the (Holy) spirit of God moving in my life, I'll bemuse for a bit on the topic. Recently I have had two friends wear their hearts on their sleeves, which I suppose in this modern world is the equivalent of posting said heart on their respective blogs. Though their themes are in some ways the same, they both wrote with grace and authenticity; without apologies or excuses or cover-ups and for that alone among many other things: I am lucky to call them a friend. Here is Becca's story; Here is Anne's.
Reading these stories has made me dig a trench even deeper into this concept of becoming truly authentic. I am a firm believer that as we share and rejoice in our inequities; Christ is magnified. His work can now be seen, because he has rescued us from loneliness and isolation; little deaths all on their own. Isolation kills our spirit each minute we play a party to it. There is a fine line between being private (which there is certainly a place for) and being ashamed.
While we're on the topic, I believe there is a distinction between being honest vs. being authentic. Honesty, while inherently good can double as a front for self absorption, verbal diarrhea, and the like. Want some honesty? I love tulips, my favorite color is green, I don't like showers, my favorite song is Wild Horses, oh and two days ago my three year old gave my 7 month old a black eye by throwing a block directly at her face from across the playroom. But I digress...
Authenticity involves having faith; it is expressing who you are and what's going on with grace and truth without using that truth as a crutch. I desire to be real, really who I am. Giving myself grace while still moving forward and growing in Christ. Is this all possible? I believe it's the authentic version of "having it all."
Yours truly,

3 comments:

anne said...

You're the best! Thank you so much posting this. It's a great reminder...one I needed to see again today. :) Love you, friend...you're such a blessing!

Bex said...

I love this, Chels. I love you and your heart and your communication style. You are truly my Patron Saint!
I love tulips, too! :-)

Lisa Corona said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.