Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Re-"do"

My own personal D Day has arrived.
Walking into the salon I almost felt like I should have warrior paint on; like I was going into some kind of epic battle poised for glory or defeat. Fear never took hold of me, but my nerves threathened to grab hold of me around my now bare neck. After much debate, the constant flipping through of magazines, and almost chickening out several times: sweaty palms and all, I pulled the proverbial trigger. I did something brave, something I've wanted to do for a very long time. And here it is:


I've mentioned it several times on this blog, but I did this same cut in 7th grade. I like to think I was ahead of my time. From a very early age, my parents always let me choose my own outfits; my own hair styles no matter how they looked. They trusted my instinct wrong or right. I'm grateful for that because in the wrong choosing, I learned and then lost most of my fear when it comes to fashion. And while this isn't the exact same cut I had in 7th grade, it's close and it's my re-"do"...in a manner of speakng it's vindication. I am loving it.
But really it's more than that. It's a matter of principal for me. My beauty is not classic, nor is it conventional; it will not be boxed into the length of my hair or the fear of what others may think. I'm not in any way saying it's for everyone; it's not. I'm also not saying I won't grow it out; I will. But for this moment: it's freeing, it's fierce, and now it's me.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Bravo! I love it.

Holly said...

I love it, Chelsea. It is actually my dream to have a very short haircut like that. But unlike you, I am not brave. I love your take on beauty. You ARE beautiful! But the best thing about you is that you are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside. ♥

Danielle Renee said...

Woop Woop, join the club! Brave one you are. I was SO nervous when I chopped mine off.

Andrea said...

I love drastic hair changes! For myself and others. It actually doesn't scare me. I think it's the only area of my life that I don't fear change. Ha! I am more afraid to step out of the box when it comes to fashion. (I just got a new hat and I feel so self conscience when I wear it because I don't think I'm a "hat person"! Ha!) I've always admired your fashion sense and the confidence with which you wear your styles! You always look great! Good job!

daphne said...

love it chelsea! u r a beautiful lady

Chelsea Bell said...

Thanks girls! My ears are cold but my heart warmed<3

JLC said...

Love, love, love!

Garrett and Denise Stone said...

Love very much! And you friend are fabulous!!