Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Austin City Limits

Hey, y'all. We're back, because we finally GOT there. Austin, my heart doth miss thee. I have to say they DO say, "Y'all" in all seriousness there and I wanted to smile every time because it sounds so strange coming out of this Yankee's mouth. They use the word "Yankee" too I discovered. Austin was everything I thought and more. Like Portland with better weather and less political agenda. It's like every city; good parts, bad parts, weird parts all with it's own flavor. I have to say even in the bad parts I never felt scared. One homeless man actually tipped his hat and another got off the sidewalk for me to pass. What the what? That does not happen here. Oh, and everyone and their mom wears cowboy boots. To me, Austin is a hipster oasis/shanty town with the best of intentions and a focus on music. Music is everywhere in this little town. You'll walk the streets in the evening and hear live music in every bar. And walk I did; miles and miles from 6th Street to South Congress and everywhere in between. For that reason most of the pictures you'll see are of the city since I got the majority of time alone to do so. Walking anonymously on city streets is one of my personal joys in this life, so it felt like such a treat. While there, we celebrated Ty's upcoming 30th birthday together and it felt good to have a small space for just the two of us. We went to The Mean Eyed Cat (a favorite of Ty's) where you can write on the walls and the bathrooms say John and June. I wrote something about Jesus. We also saw our good friend, Nate, and he showed us some of the ins and outs of the city, but mostly a really good time.
Here are some of the hot spots we hit; if you'd like a personal review just message me. They were all unique unto themselves; you don't see any chain restaurants there except Church's Chicken...
La Condesa
Maya/Stag/vintage boutiques
Snack Bar
Lamberts
Eastside Show Room (amazing Prohibition style bar)
Mean Eyed Cat
Texas Chili Parlor
And many more food trucks which are AWESOME there, candy shops, and antiques...












2 comments:

Holly said...

Did my book go to Texas? That's awesome and I love it! (Are you liking it?) Oh, and I can't wait to see your new do in person!

Chelsea Bell said...

Yes holly! It made the trip and finished in two three days! Still team Peeta and dare I say liking it better than even twilight! Can we still be friends? I would love to see you soon:)